June is almost upon us and that means it is time for me to get serious about finishing the list of movies for the June Zombie Movie Marathon Month festival. I had hoped to have the entire list done by now but for a variety of reasons — scheduling conflicts, inability to confirm that movies will be available, indecision — I haven’t been able to do so. I have come up with a preliminary list of definite movies to watch (although not the when, for the most part), a couple of themes to explore and a handful of “maybes.” Now I am taking commentary from you fine readers. Help me decide!
My two themes are five days each of Italy and Japan. Italy has proven to be the easier of these, and comprises most of my “definite” list. Japan is a little trickier and I may put it to a vote next week (about time I used that poll for something, anyway). Apart from that there are a few seminal films that I have managed to not see yet and a few my daughter has managed to not see yet and those comprise the rest of what is definite.
Here’s what I have nailed down, some with commentary:
- Zombie (30th anniversary! I’m doing a free showing of this)
- Nightmare City
- Hell of the Living Dead
- Zombie 3 (Because Lucio Fulci worked on it briefly)
- Burial Grounds: Nights of Terror
- Tokyo Zombie
- Plan 9 from Outer Space
- Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things
- Return of the Living Dead (daughter has never seen it!)
Here’s the stuff I am considering, but haven’t settled on:
- Dead Set (okay, it’s a TV miniseries, but still a moving picture show)
- American Zombie
- I Walked with a Zombie
- Messiah of Evil
- Night of the Living Dead (1990) (Haven’t seen this in years, like since it was fairly new)
- Pet Sematary (ditto)
- Grapes of Death
- Zombie Honeymoon
Okay, that’s where things stand at the moment. I’ve got ten nailed down, ten strong possibilities and a whole, long list of other stuff that I haven’t decided on. Comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged.